Filter by rating :
filters

Brown Mackie college is a joke and a Scam

Brown Mackie college is a joke their financial aid department ius a real joke i have been there 4 times to fix the same thing and then was told that i would get my money within a month and then today its been over a month now they are saying it will be 2 more weeks. this has been happening to a lot of students there and I recommend this college to no one. No one there will call you back or fix anything if there is am issue they just blow their students off and collect their money and their credit do not transfer to other major schools since they are registered as a private college and the number they give you to file complains does not exist.

Brown Mackie College aka Clown Slackey College

I am a former Assistant Director of Admissions for Brown Mackie College. I quit my position after two years after seeing what a sham and fraudulent organization this truly is. The student demographic is lower (or no) income parents mostly that have no job and no education. They advertised on shows like Jerry Springer and Judge Judy since this is where their "leads" come from...people who have nothing better to do than watch tv in the afternoon before going out and partying all night. I was forced to enroll "students" that had NO BUSINESS being in college. The conditions for enrollment were a High School Diploma and / or a GED. Three quarters of the students I enrolled had a GED and couldn't even spell simple words on the application or write a simple three sentence paragraph about why they should be admitted into college. Despite this, if they had a pulse and could get Financial Aide from the Federal Government, we were told to enroll them. Many of the students enrolled never made it to the classroom when they found out that there was no money left for them after paying for the classes. The graduation rate for this "college" is a miserable 2%. Thats' right...this is not a typo. Only 2% of students enrolled actually complete an Associates Degree in two years. The other 98% either drop out before classes start, skip classes repeatedly or cannot *** the very easy cirriculum. On the subject of classes, the cost per class was over $1,300! This was for each and every class, including remedial Math and English, which the majority of students needed. An Associates "Degree" (if you want to call it that), from Clown Slackey College would cost upwards of $35,000 by the time you were finished! You could get a better degree from a community college at about a tenth of the cost. As for quality of education, most of the instructors were not suited or capable of teaching "college" level courses. And those who were...and actually made students work...were run out on a rail by students' collaboration and complaining to the Dean. Instructors were forced to pass a certain number of students regardless of their grades and competency in order to continue receiving Financial Aide. This directive came directly from the Dean and Campust President! As admissions representatives we were responsible for ensuring that students came to class; not to learn, but in order to ensure that the school received Financial Aide (a handout from the Federal Government). As I mentioned before, Brown Mackie College preys on people who have no jobs and already have considerable debt. It is a recipe for disaster, as students rack up an additional $1,300 in debt per month. The majority of this money will never be paid back, as they default on their student loans. As for my position, it became just a tele-marketing job. We were forced to make a certain number of phone calls a day and told to continue calling "leads"until they "buy or die"! Recently, the Federal Government mandated that admissions personnel in private, for-profit colleges could no longer be evaluated on quantitative measures; i.e. enrolling enough students to hit your quota. The college used smoke and mirrors in order to continue these practices. ..and still does to this day. I could go on and on about Clown Slackey College. Suffice it to say that this school is a complete ripoff of both the student and the Federal Government. Email me at 4u2dci4l8tr at the 'g' dot com if I can answer any questions before you get taken as either a prospective student or employee. Anonymous Former Employee

I have been enrolled in Brown Mackie for almost a year now and have sadly come to discover everything you have written. It is a relief to hear these things from someone who used to work there.

I am often astounded and horrified at the writing skills of my fellow students.

These students often literally cannot construct a basic paragraph, nor are they able to apply even rudimentary grammar rules such as "capitalize the first letter of your sentence".

And yet somehow, I keep sitting next to them in class after class, as they are somehow getting passed class after class. This greatly concerns me, and as a student, angers me.

I do not feel as if I am getting an honest review of my work.

The A's I am earning are hollow.

While I have found the staff at my particular school (Lenexa, KS) to be polite and generally pleased to be teaching, the non-core teachers are shuffled month from month. I sometimes feel sorry for them. These were people who took a passionate interest in their OWN education and earned a degree in a specific area of study, only to be teaching four different subjects in four months.

It is nice to see a review that is written in a way that doesn't show you were one of those dismaying students who somehow keep passing, despite not being able to write a decent sentence.

I greatly regret my decision to attend this college. Thank you for speaking so honestly about it.

Commendable, you decided to quit after two years of deceiving people. So many BMC employees condemn the BMC practices and that the degrees are worthless, yet they are still working there.

Filling their pockets is worth going to help students receive these worthless degrees and allowing the fraud, deceptions, and all else go on by not reporting it all. Nothing could happen if there weren't instructors waiting to teach all the duped students.

Look through BMC complaints everywhere.

One big reason for for the high drop out rate is because students get wise. Everyone who works at these schools are just as bad as the crooks at the front doors and the ones they obey.

thetruthhurts.com

my friend has a "degree" from brown mackie college...my friend also does not have a job... :?

:? anymore questions??

I love how a represen tative comments on every post. Hopefully they get shut down.

to BMC grad: your post reflects the education you received at Brown Mackie. I was a previous employee and no I was not fired but had to quite so I could sleep at night. This school needs to be shut down.

You are right Brown Mackie does isolate a demographic but most colleges do have a certain demographic of students. In fact all business (which a college is) generally have a certain demographic.

I am one of those people you say the school preys on. I was going nowhere, two kids,down on myself, and watching Jerry Springer. One day I decided to get my butt off the couch and make my life and my family's life a better place.

If it was not for Brown Mackie College I would not be a College graduate now working as an administrator in a Hospital. I will go on a limb and say the "clown" degree the anonymous employee mentioned actually gave me the opportunity to make the six figure salary I now earned.

I thank my admission rep who called me five times to make sure I was motivated to start school. If it was not for her I may not be in the position I am now. Call it what you want but because of Brown Mackie making sure I sat in class on day one is the reason I now make more than the person who wrote the original posting.

I am tired of listening to people complain about Brown Mackie College. I bet the people who complain are either a "pissed" off employee or student (no pun intended). The anonymous employee who wrote this comment was probably let go. If Brown Mackie was so bad why did it take you two years to quit? What you are telling all the readers is for two years you scammed people and enrolled people in a "clown" school. You are actually making yourself look bad not the school.

I agree the College is expensive but if it were not for the small classes, one course a month, and day courses I would not have been able to go to school. I unfortunately had to pay extra for those conveniences and I am so glad I did.

I am sorry you were let go from your job but don't generalize about the school there are a lot of success stories like me.

@Brown Mackie College Graduate

Bmc "graduate" - which slackie clown campus do you work at?

View more comments (6)

Brown mackie college

Brown mackie college is a rip-off and the reason I say this because when I attend brown mackie college to get my bachelor's degree in business adminstration and instead i drop to associate's degree in business management and i don't appreciate them drop my degree like that!!! I believe they are taking people 's money and don't want to help people at all!!!!! I won't recommend this school to anybody!!!!! I feel disappointed and hurt by not getting my bachelor's degree!!!! I think that the financial aid department is misusing funds inapproriately!!!! Thank you!!!!!
knepjr01

Do you know why you were dropped to an associate's degree program? Many colleges have you set on a certain degree path with an ultimate goal (like a bachelor's) but you may earn an associates degree or a minor along the way. With my bachelor's I also managed to earn an associates degree in a field other than my major.

yea, i would have to agree with that. i am going for my assocites in healthcare admin. the ipads are a joke and it is almost like the teachers are ALLL a JOKE and i have been there two months :sigh

Service
Brown Mackie College Financial Aid Service

Brown Mackie College -South Bend

Do NOT attend Brown Mackie College. I went from 2008-2010 and got my associates in Medical Assisting, have a decent teacher was hit or miss every month. Most of the time the teachers released an hour if not mroe early, cutting down class time immensely wasting the money you spent. In this area most hospitals, doctor's offices won't give an interview to anyone who has graduated from this school. A year after graduation I was still unable to even land an interview even with the "help" from the school. A HUGE waste of money and time, a huge disappointment. Going to BMC was one of the biggest regrets of my life.

I too graduatuated from BMC and I am tired of all the grads who complain about not getting a job and blaming it on the school. I have a job as a nurse and it took me several months after graduation along with the help of the placement dpt.

to get it. Perhaps the problem is not the education but the individual.

You need to stop blaming others and start being more responsible for your own future. BMC helped me make my life better but it was my drive to not give up and support my family that got me to where I am now.

If the school meets certain accreditation, that isn't the problem of why doctors in the area don't interview graduates of the school. Take a job in a different field.

I taught school in the early 60s and then quit to raise my family and was always told that my teaching qualifications could always get me a job in other fields, but that wasn't so. When I was in my late 40s I attended a local tech. school and took a two year legal secretary course.

Every job that I have had since then are ones that I could have done with just a high school diploma All the young girls in the class had jobs that they trained in within two weeks, and none of the women that were 30 on up ever got those jobs. Yes, the school had a placement office,but they considered the students placed, even if they had jobs bagging groceries.

Money Hungry School | Brown Mackie College review from Louisville, Kentucky

I began BMC in year 2009, completed an associate degree in Business management in 2011 now working on my second degree in business admin. I regret, with a passion, that I chose to reenroll at BMC. As soon as I reenrolled many rules changed and business, quality of the school declined tremendously. Tuition increases every year by a ridiculously huge amount and services are very poor. I am a customer/student of BMC and I am very unhappy at the school. I feel forced to continue because my credits will not transfer and I am too far in to just give up now. I do not advice anyone to attend BMC, it is a very poor choice, you can find much better at an affordable rate. The student accounts are never on time, they do not value student complaints, time, education or problems. All BMC really care about after the new president entered in 2011 is money, money and more money, so much that they hire the most disqualified teachers and steadily take away student resources to save them more money to pocket. We are being well over charged for some cheap service that, if I knew better before I enrolled, I would not pay a penny for it. I must admit that I do love the one class per month and only because I know how to teach myself, I learn what I need to learn and I am an A-B grade student. However, the teachers that they hire are much disorganized, disrespectful and lost in the subjects of their teaching. Students become lost and behind because of the teachers lack of knowledge on the subject matter of the school systems and portals. Student's grades are whatever the teacher feels like giving them, I fall victim to an unfair grade and the teacher lied in order to refuse the correct grades for the entire class and to cover her own tracks... This teachers name is "Angela Paige" and she really needed to be fired, but because Brown Mackie can care less about the students they kept the lying and deceitful "Mrs. Angels Paige" and my grade has yet to be fixed and it has been 3-4 months ago...yes I am very pissed and still fighting for my proper grade, as for the rest of the class, they just gave up...But not me, I will get my correct grade and I won't stop until I do. i will go through every complaint possible until i get my correct grade. Brown mackie has messed with the wrong student this time, because my mission is to go through any and every messure to expose their criminal ways. If you read this, please be advised not to attend any BMC and warn all of your family and friends about it. I personally do not know one student of BMC who does not have complaints on top of complaints, BMC is a fraud, do your home work on the school, and you will see so for yourself. I do not understand why the government allows the school to raise their tuition cost so high, it is a cheap school, with cheap teaching methods and cheap education, i have educated myself much more than any teacher has at BMC. beware of this school, it is only a disappointment and I do not have anything nice to say about it. I do not like what the new president Mike Fontain or however you speak his name, has done to the school. He took a school that i once loved and turned it into a money hungry, cheap serviced school that i now hate and i am full of regret that I chose to reenroll under such a ridiculous president with his ridiculous spending and raising of tuition along with his ridiculous rules. I hate it and I cannot wait to get through this degree so I can disown it.
Service
Brown Mackie College Teacher

Deceiving | Brown Mackie College review from Massillon, Ohio

One course a month? Yeah, that sounded great until I realized I was cramming to get a full textbook worth of work done in 4 weeks (12 instruction days). Other school's have 12 weeks...Brown Mackie students get only 4 weeks to do everything...don't forget that includes research papers and speeches. A's don't mean you mastered and absorbed the material...it means you are a great crammer. And computer courses?? Yeah right. For the outrageous price the courses and books cost, I wish I could have retained some of that knowledge. Going through a computer course at the speed of light....it's all just a blur when the course is through. To learn and retain, it takes time. It takes study. In some cases, it takes practice. Finally, it takes more than Brown Mackie. I am labeled a 3.5 GPA student. I feel cheated, not smart. I am one of Brown Mackie's deception stories, and a future employer's worst nightmare.
knepjr01

I have to say you did a bang-up job researching your college before enrolling. Did you sleepwalk into the office and sign the papers, or were you drugged?

Bottom line: if you want to attend semester-long courses, find a college that offers semester-long courses. It's called the Internet, and there's a lot of information on it.

thetruthhurts.com

brown mackie is a joke...one class per month? lol..please

Review

No externship, can't graduate.... | Brown Mackie College review from Columbus, Ohio

I started at Brown Mackie in Akron, OH in May 2011. I did manage to finish a 2 year degree in 14 months because I got bypass credit for several classes but I had to figh for it. I didn't want to spend any more money then what I had to. I got all my books from online and never once bought those expensive books from the store. Sometimes other students had books or teachers would let you borrow them. I started in May of 2012 to talk to those in charge of the externship program. I finsihed my classes with a 3.98GPA but they and I can't find an externship in the evenings. At this point, I am not longer a student but on hiatus no choice. Current employer won't let me leave early to do my 120 hrs and there doesn't seem to be anything out there I can do in the evenings. So I'm stuck and screwed at the same time. I can't finish my degree, can't really look for work in my new "field" because I don't have the degree and BMC can't help me find anything .. so frustrated at this point it's not funny and have no idea what to do. It's kind of hard to search for an expersnhip when you're at work all day and most medical office personnel leave at 5 pm. I've tried and just don't get a call back. Depressing
thetruthhurts.com

ok marco..lets just defend brown mackie's sorry as practices again...

Student o

I can't afford to take a 2 month leave of absence. I wouldn't have a job when I got back and no guarantee of employment after the extership.

I won't go on welfare because I'm perfectly capable of working and supporting my family.

I make more money then my husband right now and if I don't have a paycheck, we don't eat or pay the utilities. Therefore, I'm stuck.

It sounds like the problem is your work schedule. If finishing your defree is a priority, then find a way to take a 2 month leave.

It's not Brown Mackie's obligation to find you an extern site that will take you in the evening.

Congrats on coming so far in 14 Months.... now find a way to get it done!

View more comments (2)

Brown Mackie- Findlay, OH | Brown Mackie College review from Mount Gilead, Ohio

Brown Mackie Findlay, OH is much like all the other complaints made about other branches of them. My daughter was set to go there starting 8/27/12 and her broke down and there are no funds to replace it right now. We called to push her classes back and they told her there would be no spot for her in the Vet Tech program for quite some time. Basically blowing her off! Now I am concerned she will have issues with getting her financial aid transferred to another college after reading the other articles. Any one had a similar issue with them? When they called they would call on a weekly basis in the beginning to see if my daughter had chosen their college etc. and then they were very rude. My suggestion to any parent out there wanting to send their child there think about it before sending them to a school that is not credited. We were told by their entrance counselors that they were an accredited school which now after reading the many articles they are not. Why have your daughter/son go to a school where they can not get a job after all the money and time has been put in? Jobs are hard enough to find.

Before you make comments about a college or any business make sure you have all your facts verified.

The schools is accredited (not credited)nationally by ACICS. Schools who offer financial aid as an option to cover tuition costs are required to be accredited.

Enrollment into the program is limited to cohorts. The Vet Tech program is programmatically accredited by the AVMA and there are restrictions on enrollments into the program. This restriction is to assure the quality of the program is maintained and the profession in a specific area does not become over saturated.

If you do not attend classes the school can not collect financial aid.

If you had concerns about job placement did you speak with the Career Service Department? Each school is required to provide consumers with placement numbers these are located for Brown Mackie on their website. How much research did you do prior to sitting down with the College?

You state, "that they were an accredited school which now after reading the many articles they are not" if you consider blogs such as your's articles I can see why you think that.

I write this as a proud graduate of Brown Mackie College who is currently working in my field of studies, Vet Tech.

Brown Mackie College gave me an opportunity that no other school would. My grades, SAT, and ACT were not good enough to get into the local university.

Brown Mackie College Program

LYING Money pit! NOT ACCREDITED PROGRAMS | Brown Mackie College review from Eldon, Missouri

I really just want to put it out there to NEVER sign up for Brown Mackie College. I think they ALL do the same thing, do your research-there have been plenty of lawsuits against them for false accredidation. When you really look into the programs most of them are NOT accredited, meaning once you are at the end of your program and it is time to take a test to certify with the state, you CAN'T. I went to the one in Fenton, MO and specifically asked about the surgical technician program accredidation and was told that it was. I later found out that it is not. I dropped out because I didn't want to go thru 34,000$ and be out all that money (aka. not be able to take the test at the end, which the students who were currently enrolled were going thru that) When I was leaving I talked with the Dean who told me they are in the process of getting accredited and will be in May. I did not believe her because I called the 2 companies they were applying to get accredidation with and they said it would not be May, at earliest it would be July- If they pass. It is now August so I called up there to see if they are accredited yet (just for my own curiosity) and the amdissions rep they transfered me to talk to say "oh yes that program is accredited!" When I started asking more questions, like "when did it get accredited?" she started to fluster and said it is always a work in progress! Well which is it Brown Mackie? A work in progress or accredited. I hung up and called back asking the same question. I was transfered to a different admissions rep and got the same answer- "yes, its accredited". When I asked when they finally got the accredidation she said its always been accredited! I said absolutely NOT! She then gave me the explination of well, its a process.... blah blah blah. So basically, this place is STILL (because they did it to me)LYING to peoples faces telling them a program is accredited when it isn't. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! This place is in it for the money, they are sucking money out of people who don't have much to being with. Sad Sad SAD. PLEASE PEOPLE, save your time and money and don't even call there!

I'm in the process of transfering now. I got the same response from the dean at the dfw location in Hurst TX.

I wonder if this is a standard response. I'm transfeing before it is to late.

Don't go to Brown Mackie College Oklahoma City. Their ADA's (used car salesmen) don't even have degrees themselves.

These sharks dont have an educatio but are pressuring you to drop over 30k.

The managment is a joke and look like cheap *** This school prays on minorities and the mentally challenged. You are just a number to them.

i agree they r worth nothing

View more comments (2)
Loss
I attended Brown Mackie- Akron for a year before putting all of the BS to an end. I started attending classes with a good friend- and she quit even sooner! Not only was I lied to and jacked around from the start, they are now saying I owe thousands of dollars after I...

No college releases your transcripts until you pay outstanding bills with them.

View more comments